Wednesday, May 28, 2008

It's like I'm back in school

I'm probably one of the biggest advocates of slowing down. I really think that we ought to stop taking ourselves and our lives so seriously. On a side note, I think Slow food International is an organisation after my own heart.

However, in the last two weeks, I've seen my philosophy take a beating. I've been at home. And I have to say, lazing at home isn't all that it was cracked up to be. I mean, I've spent the last three days at home. And I'm already bored out of my wits.

In fact, I had this whole post about how great it would be to slow down, stop by to smell the flowers and admire the sunset written and ready. But now, it's just too sickening to read. Like icing that's so sweet, you can't possibly finish the one slice of cake in you hand, leave alone ask for another one.

I really need something new to pep myself up. to get my pulse racing. And no, Need For Speed isn't the answer, however hard that may be to digest. I'm not sure how I'll pull through these vacations. But I guess I'll be the wiser for it. Don't ask me how.

It's the classic school vacation dilemma. I remember that a vacation before 9th standard (9th is when the board exam/entrance test/college admission whirlwind officially begins) meant lazing in front of the TV and putting on weight. In fact, one of my profs told me that that was precisely what he did during his undergrad vacations. It's a dilemma because you go into a vacation with so many resolutions (start exercising, go on a diet, write regularly in journal. And for the really adventurous, eradicate poverty! Although none of these were on my list as a school kid) And none of them happen. It's like a re-run of what happens on the morning of Jan 1st. A dozen resolutions are made. And bam, nothing happens on the next morning. Everything goes back to the way they used to be.

It's sad, but it's true. There are two barriers that cannot be broken. One being the speed of light, and the other being January 2nd. I'm not so sure about the speed of light, though ;)

Other news is that I'm going on a trip to Pondicherry this weekend, with old school friends. It should be fun. And since I really don't think I've got another post in me before that, I'll see you sometime after monday.

Until then, as that ridiculous Motorola ad goes, "chiao"

5 comments:

Spica said...

I couldn't agree more.. During exams and interns you keep thinking longingly about those long summer days when you have nothing to do and can get nice and bored, but when those long summer days actually come and you're stuck at home, you feel caged and depressed and yearn for work!

Oh, and I loved the way you ripped off the "i'm not sure about the 2nd one".. :P

ClunkiestAtol said...

i actually like that ad.. ciao!

Over Rated said...

My experience tells me that during these times, alcohol really helps. But what do I know, I'm just drunk.

Resolutions are made to be broken.

Also, I so used hate those kids who use to talk bout "removing poverty" and shit like that. I mean c'mon, ure a kid, your supposed to worry about when to get the next Playstation game ... You ain't gonna remove poverty .... ? Geez. :P

And why haven't I seen that motorola add?

Firefoxcub said...

Read a book, lazy face. (j.k.) On a more polite note: you're going to Pondi! That ought to take care of some boredom. Let me know how hot it is coz my buddy wants to go in June and Im not sure dehydration and sun burn are vacation worthy experiences.

Eternal Dreamer said...

We need a blog post about pondi!!