Friday, May 02, 2008

As Chinese as chop suey

It's done. My exams are over. And I have emerged unscathed (more or less, anyway). I've successfully completed two years of undergrad now. Two years, no arrears. 'nuff said.

As a celebration of sorts, I went out to dinner at this little restaurant near my hostel. It's one of those small, by-the-wayside places where the food is a little overpriced (like everything else in Pune) and the quality of the stuff is passable. Since I was feeling a little adventurous last night, I ordered a bowl of "Veg Schezwan noodles"

Now if you've ever eaten in one of those by-the-wayside places, you know that the stuff they make really well are the local dishes. This place I went to makes pretty good vada-paav, for instance (although it's not the best I've had). Other Indian dishes range from decent to passable to not particularly good. And then there's "Chinese".

Any stereotypical Indian eatery worth its salt, pepper and haldi will have fried rice and noodles, at least, on the menu. The more show off-y ones have three types of each. "Hakka" which is fried and lightly drizzled with soy sauce. "Schezwan" which has red food colour and a slightly tangy taste. And "Singapore" (no, really) which is drenched in soy sauce. Also, anything dipped in cornstarch paste and fried becomes "Manchurian". I mean, but anything. Paneer Manchurian, anyone? This place I went to has it.

What all these dishes have in common is that they swim in oil. They are full of empty calories and MSG. They have far more capsicum and spring onions than would be advisable. But considering that the man on the street knows nothing about real Chinese food (neither do I, but I know it's not supposed to be this oily or spicy) all of it sells reasonably well. Hell, some places even have "Jain Chinese", without garlic and onions. Top that.

However dinner wasn't too bad, on the whole. I guess it's okay if you want to indulge yourself once in a way, without spending too much. But what worries me is the way we've bastardised Chinese food beyond recognition. I shiver to think about what the Chinese might've done to Paneer Butter masala and ghee roast dosais.

Tofu butter masala? Urgh.

Factoid: Chop suey isn't Chinese. It was popularised in the US and there is nothing exactly like it in China.

5 comments:

Firefoxcub said...

THere is also no General Tao's Chicken in China. American invention. Just like our Indian Gobi Manchurian. Chinese food is really a global ambassador.

PI said...

to be completely honest, i'm not sure i'd like real chinese as much as i do the indianised version :D

Over Rated said...

Every country has come up with their own version of Chinese food. In Afganistan, you can have a stuffed keema manchurian hakka nan
However, Indian Chinese is becoming a separate cuisine now. There is a new chain of eateries opening up in the UK which serve Indian Chinese Food .

Plus if the Chinese tweak our food, it probably have lead somewhere.

Eternal Dreamer said...

Oh there is nothing like manchurian in china either...and I agree that the Indo-Chinese food is sooo much better!!
Guess what...we get tofu butter masala in my uni here and spinach tofu! Needless to say, its awful.

ess said...

@ffc: Chinese food is a global ambassador. But the point is that each country has its own take on chinese food. So that makes them second-gen chinese, so to speak.

@over rated: are you serious about the keema nan thing? How weird is that! And the Indian Chinese food chain was bound to happen. All those desis in the UK can't handle the real thing (I don't think I'd like the real thing either, but we'll let that pass)

@dreamer: Why, I ask you, why would any one in their right minds substitute paneer with tofu??!! If you're lactose intolerant, then maybe. And do ppl in your uni who have never tasted paneer butter masala like the tofu stuff?