Friday, April 04, 2008

Just call me "clownfish"

Was reading about clownfish today. I found some interesting facts about them. For one, they're one of the few animals that aren't affected by stinging sea anemones. For another, they start their lives as males. As they age, the largest male in the group becomes a female.


Why is that important, you ask? Well, I get the feeling that slowly I'm turning into a woman. And it's not like there's a lack of evidence:

+ I found myself debating with a friend on the merits of winter care lotion versus 'saada' moisturizer.
+I well up during the episode of FRIENDS when Ross and Rachel break up. Every single time I watch it.
+I actually told someone, "It's not what you said, it's the way you said it that hurts".
+I could relate to this post by eM and why it'd be weird for a woman.
+I don't think swearing or being boorish in public is acceptable in the least.
+I tend to ruminate a lot over past relationship(not plural)/crushes. Often, I end up blaming myself for why things didn't pan out.
+Nearly all my friends, and most people who read this blog, are women. No, it's not a boast. I've been asked by a lot of people why that's so. And it's a little weird everytime that happens.
+I go through periodic spells of blue moods. here and here. Notice that they're almost exactly 2 months apart.
+I don't give a whit about cricket (although that doesn't prove anything. pseudo is as cricket-crazy as any guy I've met. And that one isn't the only post about cricket she's written.)


Sometimes the only things I have to remind myself that I still am a guy are the stubble on my face, and the fact that I can pee standing up. It's not fair. Men come under attack from so many sides. If it's not feminists, then it's hard-to-please gfs/wives (haven't got that problem as yet). And if it's not them, it's scientists telling us how fragile the Y-chromosome is and how it keeps accumulating mutations and how men as we know them may not exist after a few hundred generations. It's bloody pissing off.


I'm not quite sure why I put this post up, considering that most of my readership is young and female. Considering that it's kinda obliquely sexist. I don't know, some things just get to you after a while. Although in some ways it's kinda cool being the only guy I know with more female friends than male :)

6 comments:

Moo said...

Hmmm...Maybe the estrogen levels are going up! Or maybe you're just MAN enough to admit it. :P

Anyhoo, my blog is funnily meant for public viewing. Will have to do something about the profile thing. In the meantime, here's the URL: http://isayitsubtly.blogspot.com . And comments are a necessary evil! :)

Mithali said...

I cry shamelessly everytime i watch that episode. so maybe you've still got hope yet :)

ClunkiestAtol said...

not that it means anything, but here goes your third female post (assuming your first one was also a woman).

lol.

PI said...

female comment number four(three?):-)
laughed through most of the post (why do things have to rhyme when i dont want them to?)
i liked it, because it mentions me me too! heh
dont worry too much clownfish.u'r. a.good.guy. :P

Prez said...

Hmmm you might have a point..you weren't always like this...clownfish!!

Anonymous said...

Nice blog, I have added it to my favourites, greetings.