Monday, August 25, 2008

More new vistas

Tata launched the new Indica yesterday. It's called the Indica Vista. (Feel free to groan, or retch, as you see fit) That means Slow start up, frequent stalling and it's gonna be a resource hog like nothing before. And people across the board will want the old version to come back. Oh, wait, sorry. We're talking about Tata here, not Microsoft :D

But seriously, when it comes to car names, why would you give it a name as blah as "vista"? Especially given the kind of bad images that the name "vista" brings up? Judging by the design, Tata wants it to be an aspirational family hatchback, if I'm not mistaken. And it will cost more than a lakh over the current Indica. Why vista, then? Why?! Automotive forums are already filling up with jokes about how the car will need more RAM and crash more often.

About the car itself, well, meh. The design is no great shakes. It looks like a blend of a European and Korean hatch in profile, but the front is bad. Finally, there's a front end that looks worse than the Swift. Honestly, what's with the swoopy, slash headlights? And the angled grille? It just looks jarring, if anything.

Thing is, I'm a big fan of the old Indica's design. It looks cute and hides its bulk well (admit it, the Indica is the most spacious hatch in its price range) The new car just doesn't look right, somehow. But hey, that's just my opinion. Judge for yourself.


7 comments:

Perakath said...

The new front end does look mismatched, with that grille that's a far cry from the original smiley face (barf!) and those lamps that are trendy but incongruous. Screw the name, who gives a shit. Microsoft jokes are too obvious to be made. :)

The thing is that unfortunately for Tata, the Indica has a very strong taxi-association. Like the Qualis. Of course this doesn't mean that home owners don't buy it (we have a Qualis at home and love it). But the ad I saw today mentioned only a petrol engine. It's the diesel Indica that everyone loves. And I didn't know it's going to be over a lakh more expensive. Tata seems to be deliberately trying to avoid the taxi market?

Also, how can you not like the Swift's looks?? Smash hit for Maruti, I say. I like the new breed of hatchbacks-- the Swift, the i10, even the old Getz, and the Fabia. (I'm not counting that wedge of an Estilo.)

Over Rated said...

I hate the looks of the swift. My parents went car searching this week and I did not mince my words and told them that if they buy the swift, I'm going to be moving out.

Not so sure if that was the right threat to make.

What's wrong with car designers this season? All I see is various types of crappy designs.

Also, vista works perfectly once you upgrade the RAM. And it also requires a cache more powerful than 2 mb. Once you get that, everything works like a charm.

You can't mac everything, ess.

And if Ratan Tata reads this post, he really is going to come back with a response which will include the name "Albus". Not trying to be an _____, just being helpful.

Spica said...

Oye Petre, just because you got yourself a fancy-schamancy macbook, you immediately start turning your nose up, eh?? Romba too much!

And I agree with over rated about the 'albus' part!

ess said...

@ perakath: There will be a diesel version as well. After all, the diesel engine was one of the selling points of the original Indica. It'll use the same 1.3 litre engine as the Swift and the Palio. And the base Vista is almost a lakh over the base Indica Xeta.

As far as the Swift's looks go, it just doesn't work for me. And NOBODY is counting that wedge of an Estilo.

Microsoft jokes are obvious. That's why they should be made!

@over rated: No, that probably wasn't the right threat to make. And the new cars this season aren't all crap. The Spark, the "new" Fiesta, the VW Passat and Jetta all look pretty good.

Oh and if Albus is gonna be a new, all-white trim level, I have no problem

@Chitra: Girl, I don't have a problem with XP. It's just Vista that bugs me. Hell, if I had to buy a PC now, I'd probably downgrade it to XP. Makes the whole damn deal easier.

And about the fancy-schmancy MacBook (capital M & capital B, mind you), it's WAY cooler than your laptop, and you know it. So there!

Spica said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Over Rated said...

OMG, you're one of them now. You even speak their language.

Roshan George said...

Ah, a larger Tata Indica, all the better to scrape the rest of us innocent non-calltaxi drivers. I wave my fist impotently at all owners of that vehicle and I pray that they're all forced to endure eternal hellfire.