Saturday, August 09, 2008

The era of Albus

Exactly eight days back I got a new laptop. Yes, I’ve put the old Toshiba to rest. For now, that is. I think my dad’s thinking of patching it up and using it now. After all, it was a pretty solid laptop. Four years and no hiccups, except for a battery that conked off in late 2006. And it was pretty decently specced for a late 2003 model.

Anyway, this post isn’t to remember things past. It’s to look to the future. And the future is… wait for it… a little more…here goes…

An Apple MacBook!!!

Allow me to indulge myself for now. I won’t get all geeky and fill the page with processor speeds and amounts of memory and compare it to other laptops. Although, in case you're interested, the spec sheet is over here. (Mine's the MB403LL/A)Suffice to say that it looks brilliant, it’s great to use, I don’t have to worry about Windows viruses (ha!). And that I got it on a student’s discount (you might be able to as well. Check this out)

Yes, it’s been smooth sailing so far. Until the day before yesterday, that is. An upstart second-year student came up to me, asked me about my laptop (I’m thinking of calling it Albus, cos it’s white. Maybe Niveus… hmmm…)

Anyway, he asked me how much I paid for it. And then when I told him, the lousy bugger tells me he paid 4k less for the same model. I mean WTF!!!

And that brings me to a very sobering fact. No matter what you do and how cocky you feel about it, there will always be some upstart who goes one better.

End of story. Class dismissed.

P.S. I missed watching the opening ceremony of the Olympics cos I was watching old episodes of Scrubs on Albus (Albus it is). But I’ll make it a point to watch the closing ceremony.

P.P.S. Just because I named my laptop Albus doesn’t mean I’m some kind of Harry Potter nut. And to clarify, I wouldn’t name it Voldemort if it were black. Nor Sirius. (Note to self: STOP!!!)

5 comments:

Prez said...

You're also rambling. :D Hehehe. I like.
Yeah, I initially was wondering when you became a Harry Potter freak. Reminds me of someone. :D
And congratulations on your new laptop. I didn't know it was all so fancy. And give a damn about upstarts! Your comp is cool!

Over Rated said...

Okay, this is going to sound weird, but I just bought a new notebook a few days ago too.

Of course, since I refuse to enter the cult of Steve Jobs, mine is Vista.

And it's black. Even if it wasn't, I would never make it suicidal by calling it something from a harry potter book. Seriously, you need to come out of the harry potter closet!!! :P ...

Spica said...

Albus????!!!!

If you needed suggestions you could've asked me, ya'know..

* sighs *

Albus???

ess said...

@estarra: Girl, seriously. Do I look like a Harry Potter freak? You know what they're like!

@over rated: So the way to avoid the cult of Steve Jobs is to join the cult of Bill Gates?

@chitra: Why doesn't anybody get that it's called Albus because it's WHITE, and only because it's white.

Spica said...

Well, as long as you didn't name it Albus Severus, I guess..

I knew that living there would eventually have an effect on you!! ;-)