Sunday, November 09, 2008

The one with the maroon lampposts

I apologise for an earlier post where I said there was no way that the development work for the Commonwealth Youth Games would be completed as scheduled. As it turned out it did happen as per schedule, and now the road outside my hostel is a smooth, wide 4-laner. Sweet!

What’s even better is that they’ve put up new lampposts and benches on the pavement. These aren’t your run-of-the-mill silver lampposts, or flat benches. No sir, the lamps have pseudo-wrought metalwork, and the benches have curved metal armrests. Also, this road is filled with Central Govt. establishments, whose compound walls have all been painted brick-red very recently. Plus it’s a very green part of the city and not too many people live here. The result is a road that's so much easier on the eyes. I daresay it even looks faintly colonial. However, the lampposts have been painted maroon and that just looks wrong.

It’s fun to sit on one of these benches and watch traffic whizz by, watch the sun set, the sky slowly fade to darkness, feel the chill of the evening creep up on you, try to recognise the constellations overhead (I was interested in astronomy while I was in school). Later in the evening, you put on a sweater, fold your arms across your chest to keep your hands warm and keep watching. You see everything, and yet you see nothing. When I’m sitting on a bench and watching is when the loneliness really hits me. I mean, I can totally picture me there with a girl, both of us in warm-ish clothing, my arm over her shoulder, sitting on one of these benches. It kinda makes sense that Valentine’s day is in February. The romance of the past three cold months needs dramatic release, and that’s exactly what happens. (By that logic, there should be another Valentine’s day in August for the Southern hemisphere. Wonder if anybody else has thought of that…)

As far as I’m concerned, winter is most definitely the most romantic season of all. I like the crisp air in my nostrils when I step out in the morning, the clear skies at night, the warm clothing. Mostly the clothing. Personally, I find sport jackets and overcoats sexy, sweaters laidback, and sweatshirts casual without trying too hard. Plus, it never goes below 20°C in Madras, so any kind of cold weather is exotic! (Although technically it can’t be winter when the maximum temperature is around 30°C, can it? That’s what the weather is like in Pune now. Weird.)

There’s something very captivating about the idea of caressing a hot latte in your hands on a cold evening, maybe even making it Irish to deal with the weather. I haven’t been able to shake it out of my head all week (and the milky crap they serve in the canteen doesn’t help matters) It’s been nearly a month since I last went to a coffee shop, and I guess it shows :D And of course, ice cream doesn’t ever taste as good as it does on a cold night. Neither does soup. Mmmm, noodle soup [Note: Friends reference ;) ]…

Really, the only thing that can mess up cold weather for me is the cold virus. And being the virus magnet that I am, I’ve caught my third cold in as many months. You might say I deserve it for my late-night ice cream runs. But I don’t care. Ice cream on a cold night is just too good to pass up!

8 comments:

Thresia said...

oh man, i so agree. especially the cold part. i am so prone to cold, even if it rains in the neighborhood, I'm down. i so adore coffees (not as if that isn't obvious) and winter gives me just some more reasons to hog on ice creams like a pig. :D

you are right. a girlfriend would make things so much better. i was kinda hanging on every word that paragraph! :D

Spica said...

I forgot what I was going to say. i had a brilliant comment all lined up and in the time it took for my stupid LAN to load the comments page, I forgot. Why even bother to comment, you ask? Well, why would I pass the oppurtunity to say hello to my darling little brother. :-)

Prez said...

Cold weather = Romance! (Though I'm not sure if Eskimos would feel the same way)
And I agree with the whole sweater fascination. I think most Madras-vasis would. Atleast you get to indulge it.

PI said...

i know. there are certain times when being alone's the absolute pits. beautiful descriptions ess :)

ess said...

@ sia: I know! It almost seems as if the cold viruses are tracking us.

@ chitra: Aww. But methinks you could've called :P btw, your gag isn't lost on me, but I won't be drawn into it

@ estarra: Eskimos can think about tropical beaches, I guess. In any case, I don't find ice and snow romantic. It looks too white and sterile.

@ pseudo: It's like you said, being in a relationship does make people boring. But that doesn't keep the rest of us from wanting in!

Mamma mia! Me a mamma? said...

Very beautifully written. I felt like I was there.

I raise my mug of morning chai to you and will wait for that chance to cradle that latte.

And I so agree about the crispness of winter. There's something about it that makes one feel so alive, so vital.

As for the cold virus, just drown it in chicken soup!

ClunkiestAtol said...

ah, winter.

for people who've grown up in madras, where winter means you can keep the fan turned off for more than five minutes, an actual winter (with sweaters, YES!) is absolutely thrilling. only, like you said, the virus catches up soon on us unseasoned people.

i so understand!

ess said...

@ m4: Thanks! btw, I still haven't gotten that latte :(

@ clunkiestatol: I'm glad you do. Now update your blog :P