Monday, October 27, 2008

The one with the stretchable time

The words just don't seem to flow these days. Verbal constipation, of sorts. So I'm just going to write about random things that have been happening to me, and you'd better like it.

Although to be honest, not many random things happen to me. My life is just too organized and set in its ways for random things to happen. So scratch that, I'm just going to write about things that have been happening here.

First and foremost, Chitra gave me the first six seasons of Scrubs while I was in Madras a couple of weeks back (Bless the LAN in IIT-M!) And another friend over here in Pune gave me the first 9 seasons of Friends (I don't particularly like the 10th season. It has a very rushed feel to it, making it very obvious that they were wrapping up the series)

Anyway, after watching over 100 episodes of one and all 236 of the other, I'd have to say Scrubs seems the more "natural" show. With Friends, it always seems as if one character is setting the other up for a joke. Whereas in Scrubs the comedy, even though it's more over-the-top, seems to flow more naturally. (Okay, I watch too many sitcoms. Happy?)

My institute hosted a conference last week, on "Trends in Modern Biology" We had scientists who'd come in from SOKENDAI Japan, TIFR and other places in and around Pune. I was a volunteer at the event, and I went to the airportto receive some of the delegates. After we'd introduced ourselves, one of the delegates said "Hira means diamond, doesn't it? I feel very rich here!" Her name was Hirata :-)

It wasn't all positive though. When we said we'd send them a car sometime around 8 the next morning, the leader of the delegation said "Sometime around 8? Indian time!" And they all laughed. So, yes, the whole world knows about Indian Stretchable Time. Remember that the next time you fix an appointment with someone abroad.

The conference itself was fun. Although some lectures were kinda technical and filled with jargon, it was pretty easy to follow for the most part. Plus all our lectures had been cancelled, which was even better. The flip side however is that I'm working both today and tomorrow. Even though officially both days are holidays. It's a low blow, but then again it isn't as though anybody in the hostel had planned something big for Deepavali. An atom bomb at 3 am to wake up all the poor souls who imagined they'd get some rest. That sounds about right ;-)

And on that note, I shall be off. Have a safe Deepavali!

Note: Since I'm just that much of a Friends nut, all posts till the new year will have titles like episodes of the show. Love it or leave it :-P

11 comments:

Idle Wild said...

yay...another friends nut :D :D :D will look forward to all ur post titles :D and will read the content as well :P

Anonymous said...

Hah. You don't watch a lot of sitcoms...2 is not much..i watch around 10.

Thresia said...

ooooh....i like scrubs too. i never did like friends all that much, in spite of all the hype.biology lectures? and you sit through that without sleeping once? you are smart. and patient. very unlike me. :D

PI said...

that partly means i wouldn't be able to follow much of what you write :( am i the only person on this planet who doesn't watch sitcoms?

Spica said...

"Bless the LAN at IIT-M" - Amen to that!

ess said...

@ thedropper: Yeah, I'm a Friends nut too. Have been for quite some time now.

@ anon: It's not a contest. And I was talking about volume, not variety.

@ sia: Uh, I'm majoring in biology. So I kinda have to sit through the lectures. Plus I don't like the way you're prejudiced against bio :P

@ pseudo: It isn't going to be all sitcoms from now on. Just the titles :)

@ chitra: And you still envy student life in my insti?

Bubbly Vodka said...

Friends is good. And the title thing sounds good too. Happy Diwali!

Spica said...

@ ess: Anyone not quite as geeky as you sleeps through all lectures. It's not about bio. Don't take it personally.
And I never said i envy student life at your insti. I just envy the fact that you hardly need to go to class!

Over Rated said...

Yes, single camera sitcoms like Scrubs are much more funnier than Friends. You should also see the office and 30 rock. They're awesome.

Tazeen said...

oh yes, scrubs rule. Where else you find a character as delightful as Dr. Cox

ess said...

@ bubbly: It's only just beginning with the titles :)

@ chitra: Don't you drag me into your wannabe nerds group!

@ over rated: I've watched 30 Rock. It is awesome :)

@ tazeen: I agree. You re-he-he-he-eally can't find anybody else like him on TV :D