Sunday, November 30, 2008

The one with the chrome grille

Exams are done. Another semester has passed. I’m four months older, but I have no idea how much wiser I am for it. Actually, I’d say I am considerably wiser. This has been one very busy sem, so if anything I’ve learned that things do not get easier with time :D

I read this article about the Fiat Linea today. Fiat will launch it sometime early next year. It will go head to head with the Honda City, Ford Fiesta, Maruti SX4 et al. And honestly, I think it’s the best looking car in its segment. There’s something about Italian cars. They’re beautiful. No other words. Just beautiful. Even the ones that aren’t easy on the eye will end up grabbing your attention. I guess it’s in their blood. The Italians have been masters of aesthetics and proportions ever since da Vinci put brush to canvas. You’ll never see something as radical as a Swift or as boring as a Corolla roll off an Italian assembly line. (Even the really boxy ones like the Fiat 124/Premier 118 have some redeeming qualities. They look noble and imposing from some angles) It’s another matter that until recently all those pretty Italian cars would break down at a moment’s notice. But they’ve been getting better all through this decade, which is a good thing. Art that you can live with.

One thing that struck me about the Linea is the fake chrome grille. Very few modern cars can actually pull off a full chrome grille. Some do away with the grille all together (A-Star, Spark), some have a barely-there grille (new Fiesta). Most have chrome bordering a black/body colour grille. But chrome on the Linea looks elegant, not overdone.

It reminds me of our car back home. We have a Premier Padmini/Fiat 1100-D. When it was launched back in the ‘60s it had a full chrome grille too. I love that car. Just thinking about it makes me feel all warm and fuzzy and nostalgic. The fact is that older cars have soul. Some quirks that you get used to, that make them more endearing.

Call me old-fashioned, but I’d much rather have a column-shift than a floor-shift. You can actually feel the gears in this car slot into place, instead of the slick-but-vague feedback an 800 gives you (and I can’t really compare it with anything else, since these are the only two cars I’ve driven) Yes, it is very underpowered. But how fast are you going to go in the city anyway? You barely floor the accelerator and you’re already at the next signal. Or there’s some fool cow on the road. Plus, the engine’s simple enough that pretty much any mechanic anywhere can fix it. And it’s much safer than half the vehicles on the road. I don’t see any reason why I should get a new car.

In other news, I’m reading the compulsive confessor’s book right now. It’s very light and breezy, like her blog. And I like that the protagonist doesn’t refer to herself in the plural in the chapter title, the way eM does in her blog. I guess we all do that from time to time. It just seems more flattering to refer to yourself in the plural. (Note to self: If I do write a book as well, I can’t title the chapters “The one with…” I need to come up with something new)

My ticket back home is still in RAC. Hope it gets confirmed soon. Fingers crossed!

4 comments:

Spica said...

You find weird things beautiful, mon frere!

PI said...

you say the book's nice? another friend trashed it so emphatically that i changed my mind about buying it :(
and no comments about automobiles, since i have no knowledge whatsoever :)

Thresia said...

em's book's nice, its something you'd read just for the heck of reading it, not about to win the booker for sure. but its fun. and light.
and we had an old car too, long back. and i used to love the single huge seat in the front, somehow, now all the cars have sparated seats, that makes me feel so distant from the person who's driving the car...

Thresia said...

you have been awarded. oh, and i hope you get back soon. and yeah, this might be a surprise when you get back :D