Monday, September 15, 2008

Things I have realized in the past week:

Colds suck: Okay, this isn't a new realization but I’ve had a particularly persistent cold all of this week. And it didn’t respond very well to the regular cold treatments (Coldarin, strepsils, steam inhalation…the works) And waking up with a blocked nose, scratchy throat and pounding headache isn’t pleasant at the best of times. It’s worse when the weather is wet.

Climate change is real: Not that I needed any more evidence (Al Gore did a brilliant job of scaring me with An Inconvenient Truth) but this is the wettest weather that Pune’s had in September as far as I can remember. Granted I’ve only had two years experience to go by, but still it shouldn’t be this cloudy and damp in September!

There’s no way the CYG will go as per schedule: Pune is the host of the 3rd Commonwealth Youth Games. And as would be expected they put up countdown clocks in different places across the city. Now there’s less than a month to go. Plenty of roads need to be widened and re-laid. And other support infrastructure stinks. For all my misgivings about Pune, I want them to put up a good show, since the stuff they build now will serve the city for some time. And yes, the rain is certainly not helping.

It’s very easy to go into a blue mood: Normally I’m the wet-weather fan. I’d love nothing more than to walk in the rain and get soaked. But a week of cloudy skies just doesn’t cut it. Hell, I’ve even gone to starting my conversation over the phone with “It’s still overcast here”

You always need someone who’ll make you feel like a million bucks: Especially when aforementioned blue moods strike. Somebody who’s close enough to have an interest in your well being. The last thing you need when you’re feeling down is flattery (the last thing I need, at any rate) It’s amazing how a kind word can drive the blahs away.


I have no right to impose the crap in my life on to anyone else: Least of all on to somebody reading this blog. I’ve written about this before already (Incidentally, that’s why I haven’t posted anything new in here for nearly two weeks)

Downloading torrents isn’t as great as it ought to be: For one, it’s hard to find a good torrent client for Mac. For another, it’s pretty slow. Direct downloads are so much faster right now. And the worst part is that there’s no net in my hostel, so I have to do all my downloading by Wi-Fi.

I need B cups: According to a men-only quiz I took on Facebook, I would need a B-cup bra. Not that I ever asked, but it’s good to know :-P
Incidentally, by a show of comments, how many of you actually like the “new” Facebook? I don’t particularly like the tabbed separation of your profile contents. But that’s just me.

And latest realization: No matter how self-involved it seems, it's fun to link back to your own posts!

9 comments:

Perakath said...

The new FB sort of grows on you. I've been using it for a month or so now, because I believe newer versions are always better... but that's patently untrue with IE 8 beta! It works very badly with the new Facebook in particular, and hangs every 5 minutes. For the first time ever I'm considering getting another browser (have always refrained since I wouldn't like to have two browsers on the comp {wasteful!} and IE can't be removed, as far as I understand...).

Perakath said...

this is not a comment (I have my reasons)

PI said...

you have cold too? :O

Spica said...

1. Yes, thanks for letting us know! :P
Oh, and the real bit of sisterly advice: Treat the cold when it's still a small sore throat. Do the drinking of the hot water, staying away from the chocolates, etc.. Once it blows up, there's nothing much you can do except stuff yourself with rasam!

2. I dislike facebook anyway it is. It's boring!!

3. Wet weather gives everyone the blues. Do not worry about it. It gave me and my classmates the blues and we live in Chennai!!!!

Prez said...

Awww, it's not raining here (not while I'm awake atleast. Which is of no use.) But I know the blues... or atleast the beiges. Grrrr!

Bubbly Vodka said...

Colds are crappy. So do continuously pouring non stopping rains. All the ingredients for a gloomy self. Hope the skies brighten soon.

And torrents rock.

Idle Wild said...

Colds are bad, yeah...but it's great when they get so bad you can call in sick from work :D sure, you can call in 'sick' anyway, but occasional authenticity is nice :)

ess said...

@ perakath: Yeah, I guess the new facebook does grow on you. I wonder why they changed it in the first place. And now you know better than to depend exclusively on MS :)

@ pseudo: I had a cold. I'm much better now.

@ chitra:
1. My cold was on its way out when I wrote this post. It's completely gone now. But thanks for the advice anyway.

2. That happens. It's a cyclic thing, facebooking and not facebooking.

3.Small consolation, but thanks.

@ estarra: The beiges? :-S

@ vodka: Torrents do rock. What sucks is downloading them slowly over a wi-fi network.

@ thedropper: I guess. But I'm not working. And they aren't very strict about attendance in my college, so I bunk even if it's a mildly running nose!

Thresia said...

you had cold too? nice. maybe these are the things i've realised in the past week too, cause i was down with a cold and nothing else to do except bloghopping. and voila, i found a few really good ones.yours included. gonna visit real frequently now! :D