Saturday, December 29, 2007

It's bloody 2:30 in the morning and I can't sleep.

The best part of a vacation is that I don't have to work. Which means that there's no fatigue. That means my body doesn't really need any additional rest. And that means I can't sleep.

Ah, the irony of it all. It's almost like the lament of the Ancient Mariner. I'm surrounded by relaxation, but I cannot sleep! I wonder if I can turn this into an epic poem. I probably just need a shot of opium, like old STC, to get the mental imagery flowing. Wonder how that would go..

It was a sleepless young man
And he woketh one of three.
The one he woke said to him
"You F%$&*ed up s.o.b whyfore do wakest thou me?!"

Sounds classy, doesn't it? Anyway, I've got more pressing issues at hand now. Mainly, how to start feeling sleepy before daybreak. My folks have had enough of me sleeping till noon. Apparently, it throws their schedule out of whack. It does, actually. Earlier, before mum got a job, my sleeping late during vacations was just an inconvenience. Now, there are real issues. Mostly dealing with my nutrition (read breakfast) and security (someone's got to lock the door).

To be honest, I haven't found anything that would make me go to sleep. Counting sheep doesn't help. I've counted thousands of sheep already (and sold their wool for a pretty penny. I'm rich!). But if anything, I'm only more awake (have to keep the sheep safe from the Big Bad Wolf). Warm milk doesn't work either. Getting out of bed, fumbling in the dark for the milk, lighting the stove, warming the milk, pouring it into a glass and finally drinking it. That's too much work!

One thing that does work is my physics textbook. There are plenty of times when I've fallen asleep within minutes after I open that book. Yes, it's that effective. But only under certain conditions. Most importantly, I MUST have a test in physics the next day. Otherwise, it's of no use. Especially during the holidays, the damn thing somehow becomes interesting and keeps me awake!

This is just sad. And nothing that I've looked up so far on the net helps. Might as well look forward to tossing and turning till dawn. Good day, the ones of you who were able to get some sleep last night.

1 comment:

soupy said...

i liked the poem.
quite inspirational that. :P

taking nothing away from it, i must add that its effect is much heightened by a read of your attempt at melancholy prose, which btw sucked big time!

the poem would undoubtedly though make coleridge proud; epic or not. :)