Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Blink, and it's gone

My mind amazes me. No, not in the sense of, “I’m so gobsmackingly intelligent!” I get plenty of that as it is from parents and relatives. Apparently my aunt tells my cousins to look at me as an example of how well one ought to study (hah!), and keeps goading the poor kids. I’m sure they must hate me by now (they’re in the US, so I don’t know for sure)

No, it amazes me because of the sheer volume of seemingly irrelevant thoughts that pass through my head. It’s like some kind of anti-boredom system (My very own ABS. Cool!) It’s got just one instruction: When all else fails, flash random things through mind. And they’re totally random. F’rinstance, I was ironing a shirt last night, while listening to a song and here are just some of the thoughts that flashed by:

+Male Mallu singers have wonderful, deep voices
+Unnikrishnan doesn’t have a deep voice
+That joke by Vivek on kaakaa biryani and Unnikrishnan’s voice
+Saif shouldn’t have been cast in Abbas’s role when they re-made Minnale in Hindi
+Why does Gautham Menon make so many police themed movies?
+Kamalinee Mukherjee looks hot!
+Dum da dum dum da dum dum dum DUM
+How come no Tamil actor has done a film about a laundry-man?
+Naa isthrikaaran, isthrikaaran / nalla amutthum isthrikaaran / nyayamulla rate-u kaaran …
+How I get my most inspired ideas when I’m doing my laundry
+Maybe I should carry a Dictaphone with me whenever I do my laundry
+Why don’t I write about this in my blog!
+How utterly short of ideas I must be to write about doing laundry in my blog

Some sobering thought like the last one brings me back to reality. I scold myself for being silly (See! More examples of uptightness), and get back to work on whatever I’m supposed to be doing. For a while, anyway. It never lasts. (Mum, if you’re reading this, this is why it always took me so long to study even one chapter). One recurring theme is my current flame, whoever she is at that moment, and how I’d ask her out. Of course, I hardly ever get around to doing it, but I always rehearse, re-rehearse and re-re-rehearse. Complete with a background score, elaborate sets and subtle lighting changes. All of it in my head. Yeah, it sounds pathetic, but trust me it’s loads of fun.

The worst part is that when I need my mind to be productive and come up with ideas, it clams up. Completely. Seals itself shut. Only after much self-goading, self-prodding and self-hair-pulling am I able to get any work done. This paragraph alone took me ten minutes.

Anyway, today is Pongal. It’s the second Pongal in as many years that I’m spending away from home. That’s what I hate about living in a hostel. I can’t be with the people I love the most on the days that matter the most. I’ve spent my last two birthdays, parents’ birthdays, Valentine’s days away from home. At least I’ve been in Madras for the new year every time so far. Small mercies.

Ok, sorry. Shouldn’t bum you out on Pongal. Pongal nalvazhthukkal to you all. Don’t get caught near Alanganallur anytime today :)

Pongalo Pongal!

No comments: